THE INSIDER'S GUIDE TO BRIDGE POINT ELEMENTARY (BPE)
- Back to School Morning - This is an opportunity for parents to meet their child’s teacher. It is held at the beginning of the school year and is an opportunity to learn about classroom expectations, policies, etc.
- Bobcat Welcome – This event, held prior to the 1st day of school, gives BPE families an opportunity to meet their child’s teachers, learn about volunteer opportunities, pick up BPE Spirit Wear and kick off the school year. In 2018, Bobcat Welcome will be held the day before school starts, Tuesday, August 21, from 8:00-10:00am.
- Drop-Off – If you are driving your children to school, you may drop off at either the Upper or Lower BPE parking lots. The Lower lot is available after 7:30am, after the buses have completed drop off. In both lots, please wait in the car line to drop off; the car line is staffed with 5th grade leaders who will help your child out of the car at the school sidewalk. You may also park at Riverbend and walk your child across the street at the crosswalk.
- Early Release – Early Release days, set by the district, allow teachers and staff time for professional development, department planning and collaboration. School ends three hours early at 11:50am, and buses run exactly three hours earlier as well.
- FIT – Focused Instructional Time (FIT) helps target students’ individual needs based on assessments. Students receive this focused instruction time daily. In addition to getting the extra instruction they need in specific areas, this is a good way for students to get to know other teachers and children in their grade.
- Fitness – Daily time for students to burn off excess energy by walking or running on the soccer field, the black top or the Fitness Trail, depending on the weather
- Library – Students visit the library once per week. Grades K–2 have story time and book checkout, and grades 3–5 have book checkout and independent reading. Kinder students may check out one book at a time, Grades 1–4 may check out 2 books and Grade 5 may check out 3 books. Student backpacks are a perfect place to keep library books when they are not reading them. If your child loses a library book, you will receive a form called an IOU; once you sign and return the form, the student may check out books while you look for the book.
- Lunch – Parents, grandparents and caregivers are invited to attend lunch in the cafeteria. It is a fun time to be with your child and meet friends in his/her class. You may want to bring them a special lunch or just pop in to say hello. All visitors must check in at the office upon arrival and check out at the office upon departure.
- Morning Assembly – A time to come together as a community of learners in the cafeteria on Friday mornings. We have special announcements, flag pledges and songs. Parents are always invited to attend and it is a great opportunity to get a glimpse into what is going on at BPE.
- Music – Our amazing music teachers, Joanna King and Patience Jones, provide an awesome curriculum for all grades. There are a few grade-specific events that are a highlight at BPE, including the 2nd Grade Spring Musical, 3rd Grade Veteran’s Day Assembly, 5th Grade Fall Musical and the 5th Grade Talent Show. Students begin playing recorders in 3rd
- PE – BPE kids are very active in PE! They do everything from gymnastics to climbing the rock wall. Please wear appropriate clothing, including comfortable shorts or pants, a comfortable shirt and athletic shoes. Please no crocs, sandals, Toms, Sperrys, boots, roller shoes or flip-flops. Students participate in Jump Rope for Heart beginning in 3rd grade. Fitness testing is conducted annually beginning in 3rd grade, as required by the state.
- Pick Up – Pickup begins at 2:45pm for Kindergarten. All other students are released by grade at 2:50pm. It is recommended that you park at Riverbend and walk over to BPE to get your children. There is only one carpool line in the Upper Parking lot in the afternoon. The line is long and forms early. Pickup is a busy time; please keep your children with you at all times. Pets are not allowed at pickup.
- Recess – Grades K–2 have a first and second recess on the upper playground. Grades 3–5 have one recess on the lower playground.
- Specials – Specials in the BPE curriculum refers to Art, Music and PE. Students rotate every third day. Remember to wear appropriate clothing and tennis shoes on PE days.
- Transportation – Please make all changes to your child’s transportation by 1:50pm using the online SMART tag system. After 1:50pm, you will be unable to make changes. Please do not email teachers regarding transportation changes; they will not reply. If your child’s daily dismissal information is incorrect, please contact email@example.com or call the BPE main office.
- Appointments - Students arriving at school after 10:00am will be counted absent, unless they have a doctor’s note to excuse the absence. Children who leave school after 10:00am will not be counted absent. To sign your child out of school, you need to fill out a form in the office, and the office staff will call your child out of class. If your child is in Kindergarten, you will have to sign in and go get your child during the Fall Semester.
- Attendance – If your child will be absent from school for any reason, please enter this as a dismissal change in the SMART tag system prior to or on the absence date. If you are not able to enter the absence before or on the absence date, please email the office at firstname.lastname@example.org regarding the absence.
- Illness - If your child is contagious (strep, flu, pink eye, lice, etc.), please email the school nurse, Leslie Boldrick, at email@example.com. All names will be kept confidential, but this helps to keep us all aware and healthy. If your child is unable to participate in PE due to illness or injury, please email the PE Teachers, Kathy Dean (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Tricia Pate (email@example.com), and Nurse Boldrick.
- SMART Tag – Eanes ISD has implemented the Secured Mobility Authorized Ridership Technology (SMART) tag program to streamline student transportation. This program has a Campus Dismissal Module to coordinate campus dismissal preferences electronically. Make ALL changes to your child’s transportation schedule on the SMART tag website by 1:50 on the day of the change. Access this site using the “Quick Links” tab on the school website (bpe.eanesisd.net), or directly at smart-tag.net. For questions regarding the SMART tag system, please contact Amanda Downey in the office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Tardy – The first bell rings at 7:35am. The second bell rings at 7:40am. Students arriving after the second bell but before 8:00 am must enter through the middle hallway door next to the gym. After 8:00 am, tardy students must enter through the office. In either case, your child will receive a Tardy Slip to be given to their teacher. Students receive a Tardy Slip even if the Tardy is “excused” due to a doctor appointment.
- Travel - If your child will miss school due to family travel for more than three days, there is an “EISD Family Travel Advance Notification Form” that can be picked up in the front office and submitted back to the office at least five days prior to travel. Travel is not considered an excused absence.
- Arts Days – This cultural extravaganza includes live performances, workshops and special projects, and is held during three 1/2 days of school in October, coinciding with parent-teacher conferences. There is one “hands-on” day when parent volunteers are needed. Booster Club funds this event.
- Bobcat Bingo – A community event for BPE families. Bingo is a great way to have fun with other families and maybe even win BINGO! Food is available for purchase.
- Bobcat Fest – Our Spring carnival, Bobcat Fest, is a special BPE community event. Students look forward to an evening of games, rides, cakewalks, bounce houses and more! Ticket sales for this event raise funds for the Booster Club.
- Fall Picnic & Movie Night – A community event for BPE families, the picnic is held on the BPE soccer field. Picnic food is available for purchase, and this is a great opportunity to meet new families and see old friends! We will also watch a family movie under the stars. Food and movie snacks are available for purchase.
- Kite Day – Parents are invited to come fly a kite with their child during PE for one day in the spring. Booster Club provides kites for this event.
- May Madness – Our version of Field Day, May Madness is coordinated by our PE Teachers and staffed by parent volunteers. Think relay races, dunking booths, contests and lots of laughter!
- Parents Night Out – Join other parents for a fun-filled evening at the Belmont in the fall! Meet new parents, and gather with friends, all while raising money for BPE!
- STEAM Day – Held in late-January, this is an entire day of science-related workshops taught by community leaders, UT professionals, physicians, Westlake students and more. The day is funded by the Booster Club and is run entirely by parent volunteers. Students will register for workshops in the fall.
- Birthdays – Student birthdays are announced on the day of their birthday. Birthday treats are not permitted in the classroom. Some parents choose to bring a special lunch to their child on his/her birthday.
- Leader of the Pack – The PE teachers select one student at the end of each PE class who exhibited Life Skills to be “Leader of the Pack.” That student receives a certificate and is recognized the following morning.
- Life Skills – Each month, our school focuses on a different character trait that helps us to be better citizens. Examples are perseverance, integrity, caring and compassion, healthy choices, and conservation. Children caught exhibiting the current month’s life skill will get to put their name on the Life Skills Board and will be recognized the next morning.
- Logo Contests – Students are invited to submit a logo for Science Day and Bobcat Fest. The winning designs are featured on event materials.
- Enrichment – EISD offers great enrichment courses for students, many of which are held at BPE after school. To explore course offerings, go to the BPE website, select Quick Links > Community Education > Enrichment Classes > Register for Classes > Courses > Bridge Point. Offerings include everything from Spanish Lunch Bunch to Kuk Sool Won to Chess.
- PE Parties – Parents can host their child’s birthday party after school in the BPE gym! The PE teachers lead the kids in games and activities of their choice. You simply provide the cake and party favors! These parties are very popular and fill up quickly, so email the PE teachers early regarding date availability
- Booster Club – The BPE Booster Club provides financial and volunteer resources, including educational programs, teacher development, supplies and memorable events, which significantly enhance the experience of our students, staff and families. All BPE parents are encouraged to contribute to Booster Club, both financially and by volunteering.
- Booster Club Connection – This is the Booster Club website. On this site, BPE families can register for events, purchase spirit wear, purchase school supplies, access the online directory, sign up for volunteer opportunities and donate to the BPE Booster Club. All new families need to register on the website.
- EEF – Eanes Education Foundation (EEF) is the fundraising arm of Eanes ISD with the primary purpose of funding teacher and staff positions on every campus in our district.
- Fundraising – There is often confusion between EEF and Booster Club. In short, Booster Club and EEF are different fundraising entities. Booster Club donations stay within our school. EEF is the fundraising arm of Eanes ISD and donations support teachers and staff throughout the district. We hope families will consider giving to both causes.
- Parent Connect Coffees – The Booster Club sponsors six Parent Connect Coffees throughout the school year. The coffees include updates from our Principal and Booster Club, as well as professional speakers who will present on a variety of topics of interest to parents of elementary students.
- Skyward – This is an Eanes district-wide website where families register with the district, review report cards, locate bus routes and make payments to food service accounts. Skyward can be accessed through the BPE website (bpe.eanesisd.net) using the “Quick Links” tab.
Compiled by the Bridge Point Elementary Booster Club